Update #1: Community Forums & First Look at Zeus

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lisk, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Lisk

Lisk Director Staff Member

Legion TD 2 is a brand new, free-to-play game, coming in 2015. It's the sequel to the original Legion TD mod played by over 100,000 people.

LTD2_Banner.PNG
    Concepts: Kraken, Fenix, Aqua Spirit, and Doppelganger.

Hey folks, it's Lisk. Many of you have been asking how to get involved, and so I'd like to invite you to join the community forums, where Legion players & devs discuss everything from fighter designs to cross-building strategies to new features.

Ever since I released the Legion TD source back in 2010, Legion TD has been a community-driven game, driven by passionate players. From Legion TD Mega, to hostbots (ENT, UC, and others), to LIHL, you, my friends, are the reason why Legion TD is what it is today. The future of Legion TD is in all of our hands, so let's make this happen together!

LTD2_Zeus_Ortho.png

Building the game from scratch takes a lot of work, but we're making good progress on units like Zeus (above), as well as many others. More updates to come from our community managers, Avernium and Dreadz!

2. Jeremia

Jeremia Member

Looking good! Keep at it guys. Don't let this become vaporware! I'm always scared of new promising projects being cut because of "who knows".

www.RawEarthBar.com and Lisk like this.
  3. RestAr

RestAr Member

I like this Kraken, Fenix, Aqua Spirit and Doppelganger, but Zeus..
    Its a good concept, but IMHO Proportions of the body must be normal. On this concept he looks like a cartoon hero so this spoils the impression. Otherwise he looks cool and amazing.
    Its only my opinion. Good luck!
    P.S.: Sorry for my bad english, I dont know this language perfectly!

4. Love

Love Member

I love the way Zeus is lookin' in this. The kind of cartoony style in which he is made looks great!

5. AdeleDazeem

AdeleDazeem Member

The only issue I have with Zeus is that he looks a little alien, and I always saw Mech as being humans with advanced technology.
    But it really depends on where you're going with it, pretty sure you'll do a solid job no matter what though

6. Lisk

Good comments. The proportions are a bit distorted from this perspective, because we're used to seeing them from above, and in-game we'll see them from above.

AdeleDazeem--you're right, it is a bit different style than the original Mech, though. While Legion TD 2 will stay true to the original gameplay and have familiar faces, we're exploring new themes to make things fresh & new :)

tao0 and AdeleDazeem like this.
  7. LForward

LForward Community Manager Staff Member

Hey Lisk, great concepts so far, my question would be how far names and mechanics are copyrighted by Blizzard Entertainment or if they are free to use since you are the original creator of the old LegionTD versions.

8. Love

Love Member

Can you copyright mechanics? I wasn't aware that you actually could. As to names, if it's just a name like "Doppelganger" or something, a) Lisk came up with the name of the character (I believe) and b) It's just a word, if it were a name like (insert non-word name here) it would be copyright-able, I don't believe you can just copyright a word.. Then again, Lisk will be able to fully answer your question.

9. Lisk

I'd have to defer to our attorney to fully answer the question, but here's a quote from Wikipedia:

"Developers can copyright the graphics, title, story, and characters, but they cannot easily protect software design and game mechanics. A patent for the mechanics is possible, but acquiring one is expensive and time-consuming."

As for Warcraft-specific names, we will avoid names like "Furbolg" and "Satyr," which are closely tied to Warcraft. However, as Love pointed out, names like "Doppelganger," or "Warrior," or "Crab" for that matter, are hardly unique to Warcraft, and it is fine for us to use them.

In any case, we'll be retheming many characters entirely, to avoid confusion with Warcraft, as well as to keep things new and exciting.

I could go on and on about this, but rest assured it's something we've made careful decisions about (with the guidance of licensed attorneys).

10. slapum

slapum Member

Lisk, I'm wondering if Legion TD 2 is based off of your original work, or mega? I must say, I left when mega took over and I really hope the work is being done for a fair and balanced Legion!

Adry likes this.
  11. Adry

Adry Member

I'll say i prefer playing the original rather than mega :p

12. Gorwyn

Gorwyn Member

I can't complain about mega, as I never played it. I stopped playing Warcraft in general a while before mega came out, so all I know is the beautiful work of art Lisk had me playing from the start ;P

Lisk likes this.
  13. Guennter

Guennter Member

the "old" ltd was by far the most balanced and less bug-destroyed map in my oppinion (speaking of 1.6 actually), but since there will be a lot of beta-testing and balancing previously to the start of a stand-alone-game, i hope there wont be problems anyway.
    so it dont rly matters which of the maps (old or mega) is going to get more influence. and maybe its possible to get more maps then 1 in the new game. maybe about different amount of players participating, but also about creeps spawning (biggest difference between lisk´s and huan´s work)

14. voisez

voisez Member

with a solid 1000 plus games played of Mega i couldn't imagine anything being better than this! Game play/style was everything we could ask for in a TD. why did you like the original best if you don't mind me asking?

15. Guennter

Guennter Member

@voisez the original (v 1.6) is far more balanced then the 3.41, and there are less possible and gamechanging glitches (like clogging for example)

16. voisez

voisez Member

Was it more balanced with less interactive customized gameplay(Game modes, customized game to game etc.)? or all the same, just less glitchy?

17. Guennter

Guennter Member

Just less glitchy and no units which are totaly op like (the most obvious example) Elite-Archer.

18. Adry

Adry Member

TBH i wasn't playing the original but a mod closer to the original unlike mega. (the main difference is you have 2 random builders, so you have 12 towers to build).

What I like about Original?

More towers are useful:
    In mega you start with 300 gold so you have high-tier towers from the beggining and you don't need to build cheap towers.
    cdc works, (harpy, toxines, frezee, stuns, whatever).

More strategy:
    Having less creeps to kill you can play with position when building your towers instead of building a stack at a corner.
    Income is more important and saving - sending all the game is bad. You have to choise when to stop incoming and start saving to send krakens.
    Maxing the king is not a MUST.
    Less probability of creeps derping arround instead of attacking.
    Less snowball effect.

Why mega is played by more people than original?
    EPICNESS! MOAR CREEPS! MOAR GOLD! MOAR EPIC BATTLES!
    And I'm sure we play x3 becouse x5 or x10 frezeed wc3 :D

So let's play mega: 1M lemmings can't be wrong.

I want to REMARK i'm not trying to convince anybody. Just answered @voisez. Discussing about this is like discussing about football (soccer) and basketball and trying to convince each other which is best. LTD2 will be mega-like and I'll play it since minute 1 anyways.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
    voisez likes this.
  19. Greedyfingers

Greedyfingers Member

Zeus looks sooo awesome!!! really really good work

20. voisez

voisez Member

i want one of his weapons. personal use. :)