Update #12: First Look at the HUD

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Avernium, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Avernium

Avernium Member Staff Member

Greetings again! Another month has passed, and we're back again with more updates on progress as well as a look at the user interface for Legion TD 2!

In June, we focused on developing the game engine, particularly the authoritative server code which will allow Legion TD 2 to run across the world with high performance, and with modern eSport features such as spectating, reconnecting, replays, and having one player's lag not affect the other players.

While we can't show off the game engine yet, we'd like to share a prototype of the HUD interface.

hud_approved_newbg4.png

Warcraft 3 provided a very flexible interface, but we felt like there were many ways we could simplify and improve the experience for Legion TD 2. At this stage of design we've focused heavily on functionality and layout. We're aiming to minimize the impact of the interface and keep your focus on the action while also clustering information that synergizes together.

With LTD2's new interface, it'll be easier and faster to play the game than the original, whether you are a new player or an in-house league veteran. The smaller footprint will open up more screen space to watch the action and the key shortcuts for your builder, town hall, and barracks will let you act from anywhere on the battlefield. Finally, perhaps the coolest part is that the interface will be reskinnable, similar to Dota 2.

Check out the post below to see detailed notes on each aspect of the UI. As always, your feedback is encouraged!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    Ra3, Tezro, Patti30 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Avernium

Avernium Member Staff Member

1. Shortcut Bar
    - Use the Shortcut bar to swap quickly between your builder, town, barracks, advanced barracks, and king, by pressing 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, or clicking the icons.
    - You can still select the units directly on the map if you want, of course.

2. Selected Unit
    - This panel displays information about whatever unit you have selected.
    - Buff icons are larger and easier to access than before
    - Mouseover the attack & armor values to see exact cooldown timers, attack ranges, movement speeds, and other details.

3. Resources
    - This panel displays your gold, mythium, and supply. It's located next to your action bar, since that's what you use to spend resources.
    - You'll also be able to see your value and income, without having to open the scoreboard.

4. Action Bar
    - The action bar is used to build fighters, send summons, buy workers, and upgrade the king. It changes depending on what unit you've selected via the shortcut bar.
    - The action bar changes based on which unit you're selecting. Select a barracks, and the action bar will change to all the summons you can send.

5. Minimap
    - Pretty standard. You'll be able to ping via alt+click.

6. Scoreboard
    - Press tab to open the scoreboard. It'll be pretty similar to the scoreboard in the original.

7. King HP
    - It'll turn red when your king is below 10% hp, and start flashing when he is below 5% hp.
    - You can click the King HP bar to select the King.
    - (Not pictured) You'll also be able to see the # of enemies still alive, without having to open the scoreboard.

8. Wave Counter
    - It's now much easier than before to see when the wave is going to start!
    - The timer will animate when there are just a few seconds left.
    - Mouseover the wave counter to see information about the next wave. No more having to type "-next" anymore.

Vitor Santos and Tezro like this.
  3. Guennter

Guennter Member

That looks incredibly good :D
    Also the things you explained, like:
    are very usefull improvements!

The only thing i do not understand is the "Scores" thing on the "Scoreboard" ... I always wondered how this is actually calculated. The only thing its doing (imo) is producing flame ^^

Anyway, GOOD JOB!

A last question: Will it be possible to "-zoom" out/in? Should be implemented.

4. Diablo

Diablo Member

Looks solid.
    As long as the score is actually meaningful (unlike 3.41) it's a nice feature imo.

5. LForward

LForward Community Manager Staff Member

Ahh awesome, finally updates where we see how LegionTD2 will look like and it looks incredibly nice for being in an early beta state, of course this is only the HUD without the actual game in the back, but I really like the design and functionality. It will attract many new players to the game this way.
    I really hope it will not take that long till we┬┤re able to actually play the game.

6. Angel

Angel Member

Looking great! I love the layout.

7. Ulciscor

Ulciscor Member

Overall this prototype already looks really nice. But there are two things that bother me.
    First the large grey bar on the top. Will it have some other use like displaying some data? Maybe the next and current wave information instead of the hover? Or maybe move the resources bar over there like in Warcraft 3?
    And the scoreboard looks really huge. I know you can hide it using tab but I think it could be a little more compact.

8. Vethek

Vethek Member

Will you add a scaling setting for the UI?

All the UI elements shown in the concept screenshot seem to be anchored to a specific point on the screen and on a big screen I'd like to be able to set the UI to a small size. I guess the scoreboard and shortcut bar could then just use their top-right (scoreboard) and top-left (shortcut bar) anchors as the origin scaling, the selected unit panel and minimap the corners that they are 'attached to', the action bar simply decreases/increases in width and the top bar either remains untouched or the elements on top of it decrease in size and the actual bar just becomes smaller, but increases in width to fill the entire width of the screen.

Or do you provide full customizability with re-locating and custom sizing per element with the skinning feature?

9. oTray

oTray Member

Wow, cant wait anymore .-.

10. Jadenizer4

Jadenizer4 Member

You should probably make the "team scores" (6) part minimise-able. And also increase the size of the map. Other than that it looks great!

11. Lisk

Lisk Director Staff Member

Thanks for the feedback and comments so far :)

Score computation (@Guennter and @Diablo):

The computation of "score" hasn't been decided yet; it's something that can be figured out a little later in development.

Top bar (@Ulciscor):

Good point. Maybe the next wave will be displayed in text, with attack/armor type. And then you can hover for more info?

Also, there will be a # enemies remaining counter on the top-bar. For some reason, it wasn't in this version of the prototype.

UI Scaling (@Vethek and @Ulciscor):

Yes, UI will be scalable, which is why it is separated into 8 or so different anchored components, rather than just one big piece. It will probably work similar to how you described: anchor point, and scaling up/down will depend on the element.

Scoreboard (@Jadenizer4 and @Ulciscor):

Yes, the Scoreboard can be shown/hidden with the TAB key. There will also be another hotkey for keeping the scoreboard open. The larger size should be okay if it is easily shown/hidden, but again we'll see what players feel during beta.

12. Adry

Adry Member

Love it. I'm excited.

some criticism:

As said before the top long gray bar i think should have the resources (at right, as w3 and other rts there), not the action bar.
    Your public resources (value, workers, income) can be just highlighted when scoreboard is open and sticked under private data when scoreboard is hidden: if i want to play with the scoreboard opened all the time there's no need having twice any data.

At the left side of the top bar can be the actual and next wave info, or just an icon. Knowing waves info is a must and having to ask for via chat is not a good way.

13. Patti30

Patti30 Member

I really like how the hud is looking!
    Something I would consider is adding opacity to the shortcut bar when the mouse isn't nearby or maybe moving the bar nearly out of the screen. I have no idea if I would actually like it when I see it but I think its worth considering.
    I would prefer if the scoreboard would have some visual element to show which numbers are high and low. For example the value could be shown in a dark green color when the value is a lot higher than the average value or the recommended value and in a red color when the value is lower. I think green/red bars would look better but I am not sure if its worth using up space for them.

14. Soul Eater

Soul Eater Member

First of all i like the forest look.
    But where is the options button :D?
    Will we also built the Unites in squeres like in wc3 or will they be free to place?

15. FearSC

FearSC Member

Looks so awesome !!! Cant wait to play this :D

P.S. Plz, give us option to switch minimap from right to left. I dont want my minimap to be on the right. Thx

Diablo likes this.
  16. Harry

Harry Member

This looks promising overall, however I think there needs to be a bit more distinction between the colouring of the UI and the terrain, as the colours seem to clash right now, and do not give much in the way of definition.

Great progress though, I am so excited about this game!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  17. awesomeful

awesomeful Member

Looks great! I was wondering why there is room for 12 units to be built when you can only build 6.

18. Norn

Norn Member

"Finally, perhaps the coolest part is that the interface will be reskinnable, similar to Dota"

sad.. i hope thet you come up with for Legion TD 2 .. but you just take dota idea.. if Legion will be in steam its very sad ...

Action Bar and Shortcut Bar its same things ....

[​IMG]

here we ca see updates of king?

19. SanGuNiang

SanGuNiang Member

Yeah, we love Legion TD :) Come, come, come

20. awesomeful

awesomeful Member

what do you have against steam?