Update #23: Meet the Creator of Legion TD

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jules, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

Many of you have spoken with Lisk on the forums, communicated with him by email, or played with him in game, but I figured it was finally time to give him the introduction he deserves.

Lisk is the creator of the original Legion TD in Warcraft III. It's not uncommon for people to imagine a comprehensive team of designers, programmers, and artists behind Legion TD, but the reality is that Lisk was the genius behind the game. He would get on my case if I didn't mention that Avernium, Dreadz, and I were his primary beta testers. And that's one of my favorite things about him: he always gives credit where credit is due and never downplays the contributions of others.

Oh, and I guess I should mention that Lisk has been my best friend for 20 years. We attended the same school from Kindergarten to 12th grade in Florida, and we both currently reside in California. Below is a photo of us winning a chess tournament when we were 7 years old.

chess-me-and-brent (1).jpg
    Lisk, Jules, Tezro (Lisk's brother), TheSlimeKing (Jules' brother)

While I was the one who introduced him to chess, Lisk was the one that got me into gaming and eventually into game design. Lisk designed the original Legion TD in 2009 as a senior in high school, and if you want more details, check out the complete history of Legion TD. After studying electrical engineering and computer science at UC Berkeley, he founded AutoAttack Games, an independent game studio with the vision of developing Legion TD 2.

Lisk has been a gamer his entire life, and his favorite games over the years are Subspace, Pokémon, RollerCoaster Tycoon, Ragnarok, and Warcraft III. You've probably heard your fair share of game developers claiming to be "gamers that love making games," but it really is true for Lisk. I've met so many talented people in my life, and I can't think of a better person to be leading this project.

Lisk assembled the rest of the team. We made a deliberate decision to keep the team small because it gives us the freedom to innovate and the agility to produce high-quality content with minimal overhead. It keeps Legion TD 2 fully in the hands of the original designers whose crystal-clear vision is to make the best game possible.

meet-the-team.png

One thing that we believe distinguishes us from other game developers is that we want to meet you. It's why we aren't making it a Kickstarter reward to meet the development team. For us, it's the other way around - we consider it a reward to meet you. Lisk lives in the Bay Area and C3LL and Jules live in Los Angeles, so don't hesitate to reach out. We'd love to grab lunch and hang out.

The Legion TD 2 Kickstarter launches on March 1st, which is just one week away! We want to start things off with a bang, and as a small team, we could really use your help. Sign up for our Thunderclap with Twitter and/or Facebook. This schedules a single message when our Kickstarter goes live. It's free, takes 15 seconds, and makes a huge difference.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    Avernium, Happy, RaVe and 3 others like this.
  2. Guennter

Guennter Member

Now THAT is being close to the fans/players :D
    I will tell you if i'm close to LA next time!

3. Jules

Please do, I'm looking forward to it!

4. Ya Dingus

Ya Dingus Member

good work jules. lisk is an amazing designer who will MAKE US an awesome game

5. [?]

[?] Member

Nice that you show yourselfs and go very open with it. Also this "we wanna get close to the fans" -attitude is speaking towards me, unfortunately i live in germany ... won't be passing by so soon I guess :/ I remember when you guys started and there wasn't even a forum and i tried to kiss your asses in an email so i would get the first pre alpha whatever version you would release. Still hoping for it though ! :D Nah im kidding , you guys gonna get 20 dollar from me and i get my closed beta key ,see you guys hopefully in december :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    Nerzul likes this.
  6. DerpCat

DerpCat Member

This story reminds me of how I got into gaming, lol. Along with all of my mess-around maps that I have made with the editor.
    I live not too far from LA but I don't know if I'm going any time soon. Would LOVE to pickup lunch or something :p

Lisk likes this.
  7. LForward

LForward Community Manager Staff Member

Would love to eat a virtual lunch/dinner with you guys since California seems to be out of reach :(

Avernium and Lisk like this.
  8. Dafuq

Dafuq Member

This really gets my hopes up for Legion TD2.. its good to know whos behind the project :)

9. Soul Eater

Soul Eater Member

hmm ... USA is far away from me :(. But i see 2 possebilities:
    1: Skype video call (but i prefer TS3)
    2: The world cup of (plz insert a word is fitting; hint has to do something with planes; translator didnt work :/) is taking place in USA.
    (my father's hobby is flying)

Who is the winner of the chess tournament?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  10. Misc

Misc Member

love the transparency the team is showing! keep it up!

11. Happy

Happy Member

Cool photo ^_^

12. Jules

The team and I will be doing a live stream at some point in the coming weeks, so that's one way for all of us to have a more fluid conversation, especially for those living far from California. We also still play the original Legion TD on Warcraft III; we'll be better about letting you guys know so we can get some in-house games going! And of course, once Legion TD 2 launches, I'm super excited to play with you all.
    This was so long ago, I don't remember. I'm pretty sure we were on the same team. TheSlimeKing's (my brother's) trophy looks like it's half his size, so I'd call him the winner. ;)

Avernium likes this.