Update #41: A Tale of Three Kings

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jules, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Jules

Jules Developer Staff Member

Happy April, everyone!

Progress update: the game's models, animations, vfx, and sounds are done. Other than a few icons, all art assets have been completed. From a design and technical perspective, the game is multiplayer-playable. There are just some bugs and stability issues that need to be fixed before we can begin public alpha testing.

A Tale of Three Kings

Meet the three most powerful beings in Legion TD 2. We've re-designed the original king and designed a second one so that each side has a unique king to defend. The west team is loyal to the Sky King, the east team is loyal to the Earth King, and the creatures of Nova serve the Legion Lord. While the Sky King and Earth King vociferously battle for dominance, the Legion Lord lurks in the shadows as the greater threat.

via Sketchfab

via Sketchfab

via Sketchfab

Enchantments

Enchantments are specializations that allow you to spec into a particular strategy or style of play. We're still toying with the design and will iterate during the later stages of the alpha. As it stands, you will have 5 points to allocate to your enchantments. This number is intentionally small so that each point feels impactful and so that each decision matters. You can allocate 1 point to 5 different enchantment, 5 points to a single enchantment, or anything in between. Speccing multiple points into the same enchantment results in diminishing returns.

Allowance-small.png Allowance - Grants bonus starting gold
    BarbedArmor-small.png Barbed Armor - Your units reflect a percent of damage taken back to the attacker as pierce damage
    BlackMarket-small.png Black Market - You can recall fighters for a higher rate
    Corruption-small.png Corruption - Your units’ attacks deal a percent of their target’s maximum health as magic damage
    Frenzy-small.png Frenzy - Your units attack faster but take more damage
    Haggler-small.png Haggler - Your mercenaries generate more income
    Insurance-small.png Insurance - If you leak at least one unit, you receive bonus gold
    Loyalty-small.png Loyalty - Fighters that reach the great hall take reduced damage
    Plenty-small.png Plenty - Grants bonus supply per level
    Stash-small.png Stash - Grants bonus starting mythium
    TakeAim-small.png Take Aim - Your ranged units have more attack range
    Cannibalism-small.png Vampirism - Every third attack causes your units to heal for a percent of the damage dealt

...and more to come!

March Development Highlights

DESIGN
    • Completed design of Enchantments and Powerups
    • Continued iteration on game balance
    PROGRAMMING
    • Code refactor for matchmaking, friends, and parties
    • Bug fixing and general game stability improvements
    ART
    • Rigged and animated final 3 units
    • Made new icons for 20 units
    • Added icons for Enchantments and Powerups
    • Improved ability icons
    COMMUNITY
    • Redesigned /r/LegionTD2 - shoutout to EpvpDani for the great work!
    WEBSITE
    • Updated unit icons and models
    • Updated ability icons and descriptions
    • Updated statistics to reflect game balance changes

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    Gorbas, JARERO, Brad and 4 others like this.
  2. EpvpDani

EpvpDani Member

Great update, nice to see the progress and that the art has been finished. Can't wait for the alpha.
    Oh and thanks for the shoutout! That was really unexpected :D

Amkhu likes this.
  3. Ya Dingus

Ya Dingus Member

Legion Lord looks so sick. im assuming he is level 21?

4. FirePhoenix115

FirePhoenix115 Member

I really like the enchantment system, keep up the good work

5. Amkhu

Amkhu Member

I love the idea of the enchantment system and how it will diversity builds. Great work and thanks for the transparency!

6. Diablo

Diablo Member

Great work :)

7. Bradley Wessels

Bradley Wessels Member

Ohhhh i can feel the Hype Baby! Cant wait to Stream this game on Twitch. Btw. Is it allowed to be Streamed in Alpha test? (normaly ist not) just asking.

8. dragothic

dragothic Member

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegionTD2/comments/5wzx0s/qa_compilation_discord_server/

Q: "Are we allowed to stream alpha?"
    "TBD. Will let you know when we've made a call on that!" - Jules

I haven't heard anything new, so i guess they don't yet.

9. EpvpDani

EpvpDani Member

Yeah there is still no official statement on that

10. tao0

tao0 Member

Great update! I love the enchantment concept, can't wait to try it! wp

11. Muaddib

Muaddib Member

Well played ;)))
    Cant wait :)

12. Kroghelf

Kroghelf Member

ayy the legion lord looks dope, well done :)

13. bratmi

bratmi Member

I for one do not like the idea of including Enchantments into the game. I would prefer a game with simpler initial conditions where variety arises from gameplay (in the spirit of Go or Chess or even StarCraft) instead of a game where more and more "features" get added (like WoW or the direction Dota 2 has taken). In particular, I think the Enchantments will force the gameplay into list of "viable" strategies, which is the opposite of diverse builds. As someone who pre-purchased, I am surprised and disappointed.

14. Adry

Adry Member

Enchantments were announced a long time before (mid 2015):
    http://www.legiontd2.com/community/threads/update-11-enchantments.644/

Now enchantments have just been reworked. In my opinion is a good thing to see more build options, and probably developing new roles, not only defending - incomer, but auras, tank, dps... when building mid.
    These enchantments will be probably hard to balance, and some of them will be a must to have a couple of points on it and some others wont be used at all, but I think enchantments are a good thing. Think on football (soccer), its 11v11 anyways, but the manager can select players with more attack or more defense skills for every situation.

15. LEGOPASTA

LEGOPASTA Member

I tend to agree, we cant just have the exact same game as what we played on wc3 for all those years. They need to have some differences that will make the game feel fresh, while I'm sure it would be cool to have it feel like the legion of old I for one and am looking forward to the innovations that they come up with...

I loved the original but I want this to feel like it is indeed a legion td 2 not just another version of the original... and all this is what alpha is for anyway. We will find out if these additions work or not pretty quickly.

16. Mikkolo

Mikkolo Member

Guys I've got an easy-addable, and very useful idea to implement. Add in-game CALCULATOR! Will really help with fast simple counting during game :)

17. TheTimtam

TheTimtam Member

There was an official announcement on Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/LegionTD2/comments/640ein/legion_td_2_alpha_faq/

TL;DR: You can stream it but you must give ample announcements that the game is in its alpha state and not a full release.